Friday, May 7, 2010

Leaving on a jet plane...or four

Hi friends! Welcome to the blog which will hopefully keep you all up to date on my adventures in India. As most of you know, I will be working with gifted students from all over India at the Indian Institute of Management. The students will take one three-week intensive course as part of an academic residential program.

We will be living in dorms without air-conditioning. The highs for this time of year are about 105-115 degrees F...that is literally twice the number of degrees it currently is in Minnesota (Minnesota missed the memo about summer). For those of you wondering after the meaning of my blog title, it means "Spirit of Fire" in Hindi. I'm hoping that it's meaning will develop into something more than the extreme heat.

Just a couple more days! Somewhere between four airports I am sure some travel mishap will arise. Last time I flew, security at RDU found a bottle of Elmer's school glue (left in my backpack for a collage project for grad school....yes, a collage for a graduate class. Don't look so surprised). My bags had to be searched and swabbed, and I got a pat down. I wonder what would have happened if I had been carrying more serious glue, like wood glue or fabric glue, or heaven forbid, rubber cement! Needless to say, I will pack my backpack more carefully before I depart on this next adventure.

Stay tuned for my first report from India! For those of you I leave in MN -- I'll try to send you some of that warm air so you can put away the winter coats again.

No comments:

Post a Comment